Wednesday 16 October 2013

Scooby Doesn't Feel Too Great

Hamsters, like humans, get old. At 2, nearly 3 years old I am happy to have earnt the name 'Old Man Scoob' and it seems i'm living up to that name as Monday night I had a stroke. My owner is away at university so she only got the information today when the rest of my family were sure i had made it out the other side alive and happy. It's a sad truth that, though we feel it sometimes, we are not invincible. It's a sad knowledge that at one time or another we have to say goodbye to running around for hours in a small plastic ball and retire to a quieter, more relaxed lifestyle. That doesn't matter though, because we can still have cuddles and lots of fun with our family when we've reached old age and we can embrace the changes in our lifestyle with lots of treats and cuddles.

Hamsters have strokes from old age and they are fairly common, so it is important to remember that after having a stroke we need a little bit of extra care and attention. A fully replenished food bowl, plenty of fresh water, cuddles and treats are necessary for every hamster, but a hamster who's feeling a bit poorly can sometimes need just a little bit more. My front paw has gone funny which means I limp around a bit and become a bit lopsided and my eye-sight isn't what it used to be, so my owners have taken away any obstacles that might hurt me in my temporarily fuzzy state and are also keeping a close eye on me when i'm on any platforms in my cage - it's easy to lose footing and fall off when you get to my age :P.

My owner hopes I still have loads of great times ahead of me and thinks I will pull through this little age generated setback because there's no other option but to limp back up and keep being cute. I'm very happy and have been cuddling and playing with my ears held high since the stroke but everyone keeps a close eye on me to help me out. But on the plus side I have a full body of fur again :).


No comments:

Post a Comment